What is Python?

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Fri Sep 15 17:23:02 EDT 2000

Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> There's a reason Perl is symbolized by the Camel; it was an intentional
> metaphor by the author: it's ugly, it stinks, but it does the job and
> does it well.

Seriously: I thought it was a because "a camel is a horse designed by a
committee".  (The committe in this case is "shell", "awk", "sed", "C",
etc.)

But don't camels spit?  (In comparison, Pythons are more inclined to
wink. <wink>)

> Besides, it's an acquired taste, I've found.

$De_gustibus_non_disputandum  (That's Perl for "There's no accounting
for taste." <wink>)

> I have no intention of "leaving" Perl.  Python's another (very
> satisfying) language under the belt.

Genius is the art of simplicity.

Python is a work of great simplicity.

but-camels-are-complex-beasts-ly y'rs,