"CPAN" SIG?

Tom Loredo loredo at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Wed Sep 27 17:22:48 EDT 2000

Hans Nowak wrote:

> On 26 Sep 00, at 21:10, Kragen Sitaker wrote:
> > How about the Vaults of Parnassus?  http://www.vex.net/parnassus/
>
> That's just a bunch of links. :)

Vaults is great.  However I strongly feel there is a need, if not
for CPAN, then at least for mirrors of Vaults.  As someone who has
just written a grant proposal seeking support for a Python
project, I find it worrisome that Python's main source of info
about 3rd party libraries is a single site.  In particular, Vaults
has been incredibly unstable in the last month or so; a web page
supporting my proposal links to it and I am just praying that
when the reviewers visit it, it's not one of the days that clicking
on the Vaults link returns an error message.  There have been
many days like that lately.

The collective efforts of Python programmers are too vital a
component of the case for Python to be subject to this kind
of single-point failure.  We need something broader and more
stable.

-Tom Loredo