newbie class troubles

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Sep 17 16:46:33 EDT 2000

Brett Lempereur wrote:

> Allright.  i do know how to post programming error questions into
> newsgroups
> (Vb and C++) but in python it is obviously different.  In case you're
> interested i'm doing the testing in the immediate view

The way you get help in any programming newsgroup is exactly the same.
Without sufficient information it is nearly or literally impossible to
help you track down the problem.

> I wasn't actually given a line number!!  The python interpreter
> literally
> just threw the error right at me, without a point of reference, which
> is why
> it is so difficult to actually track down the error

I find that hard to believe.  Unless you're manually doing some strange
exception handling (in which case you're responsible for the problem),
the default behavior of Python when an uncaught exception is raised is
to display the file and line number, as well as the line the error
occurs on (including a full stack trace), followed by the error.

> This is exactly my point!

I think you're not paying close enough attention to the error output.

/  \ [Western Civiliation?]  It would be a good idea.
\__/ Mohandas K. Gandhi
    Computer science / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/compsci/
 A computer science reference.