syntactic sugar for filesystem access in Python

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Thu Sep 28 13:39:27 EDT 2000

In article <m3n1gt17zh.fsf at DHCP-62-3.origin.ea.com>,
Glyph Lefkowitz  <glyph at no.spam> wrote:
>kragen at dnaco.net (Kragen Sitaker) writes:
>> It is with some trepidation that I post this; I'm not sure it's
>> useful.  It provides some very simple filesystem-access functionality
>> in a very simple way, but it will throw exceptions at surprising times
>> if the filesystem changes underneath it.
>>
>> Still, it should be entertaining.
>
>And indeed it is!  I have been looking for a way to use Python as my
>shell for some time... your Filesystem class gives me a way to do it!
>Well done!
>
>(IMHO this improves the readability of certain classes of script, too,
>as far as usefulness is concerned.  I need never use shellscripts again!)

Well, you'll probably want to add a bunch of features.  It currently
doesn't provide any way to pass Filesystem objects as arguments to Unix
commands, to talk about nonexistent filenames, to make directories, to
do synchronized file access, to rename anything, to make links, to
redirect command input and output, etc.

I'd love to read your updates :)

>Glyph Lefkowitz
>Professional -- Software Engineer,  Origin Systems

I wish I could claim to be one of those, but I think I'm more of a
software craftsman ;)
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves