CGI Search Script?

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Fri Sep 29 15:41:45 EDT 2000

Alan Kennedy wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm on the lookout for a python CGI search script.

Me too!

> Does anyone know of such a beast?

Not me.  I've looked around a little, but couldn't find one.

(BTW, since Zope is Python's "Killer App", do you 'spose part of what it
kills is development of Python CGI scripts?)

> I'm using a Perl (ugh) script at the moment,

Me too.  (Ugh too.)

On dspGuru, I use the "Perlfect Search".  It works great <<less
filling>>.  And that's a good thing, too, because otherwise I'd probably
have to hire the Perlfect people (http://www.perlfect.com) to fix it.
(I think that might be how they pay their bills. <wink>)

> and would like to move it over to something a little more
> maintainable,

Me too.  I don't know if yours or mine is better, but if the Perlfect
Search were written in Python, it would be even better.  Then, for
example, I would probably be able to add a "stemmer" to it.

> without having to start from scratch.

I guess it's kind of a chicken-and-egg problem: A big piece of code is
written in Perl so it isn't maintainable; we'd like to write it in
Python so it would be maintainable; but since it isn't maintainable,
it's pretty hard to translate it to Python.

> TIA,

You're welcome in retrospect. <wink>

if-we-can't-find-a-good-free-python-search,-maybe-it's-time-to
   -go-translate-some-"ugh!"-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com