Python IDE's

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 17:57:10 EDT 2000

"Brett Lempereur" <a.lempereur[remove this|@|remove this]cableinet.co.uk>
wrote in message news:9mvw5.3052$ZN4.475499 at news1.cableinet.net...
> I'm moving over from developing in Java and Vb to try out python for a
bit.
> I've learned pretty much all my programming skills using MS tools, which
are
> pretty good, so i was wondering if there was a good IDE available for
python
> anywhere

Sure!  On Windows, you can use PythonWin, an IDE with a rather
MS-ish look and feel; it comes with the win32all extensions, or
also with the ActivePython distribution from ActiveState, which
already includes those extensions.

On all platforms, you can use IDLE, an IDE that is also very good
(and as portable as the Tkinter graphical toolkit which it uses,
that is, VERY portable).  It comes with the standard Python
distribution (it's not distributed with the ActiveState one).

Both environments offer similar services -- colorized editing of
sources (and similar colorization & editing facilities in an
interactive window), browsing, debugging, various tools.
PythonWin does so with dockable MDI client-windows within
one frame; IDLE uses separate frames.

Alex