Python 2.0b1 is released!

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Sep 10 02:29:04 EDT 2000

[Emile van Sebille]
> I've obviously misunderstood something along the way, but
> isn't the point of GPL'd code in part to "infect" contributed,
> linked and derived code such that the result be made available to
> others?

Yes, although the FSF might phrase it more along the lines that the point is
to "liberate" it <wink -- while somewhat unfair, it does capture the
spirit>.  But you overestimate the power of the GPL (or any other license):
it can't *force* other code to come under its terms.  Only the copyright
holder can change the license they distribute their code under.

The GPL puts social and economic pressure on copyright holders, by making it
illegal to link GPL'ed code with code under licenses that don't allow
re-release of the combined works under the GPL.  So say you're a copyright
holder:  if the license *you* put out isn't compatible with the GPL, you're
not allowed to link your code with any GPL'ed code and make the result
available to others (you can do it for your own private use, which is why I
have to keep tacking on "and make the result available ...").  If you want
the benefits of linking with GPL'ed code, or want your users to, you must
change your license to allow the GPL to, in effect, make your license
irrelevant.  But the law can't force you to do that.  Your users or
distributors may give you hell about it, though.

> Yet this is what would happen with python, and they'd have to
> take action?
> Sigh, It's beyond me.  ;-)

Na.  The FSF and the GPL have no legal power to change the terms under which
Python is licensed.  If the Python license is not compatible with the GPL,
then the ploy is that any *user* who links Python with GPL'ed code (and
makes the result available yadda yadda) is breaking the law.  Such combining
violates the terms under which the *GPL'ed* code was licensed to them.  It
does not violate the terms of the (either old or new) Python license.  So
CNRI can't come after you for doing it, only the copyright holder of the
GPL'ed code can do that:  you're violating your contract (license) with
*them*.

Richard Stallman has written extensively and eloquently about the goals and
mechanics of the GPL, so I suggest you go to

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

and read up!

This is an unusual case for the FSF, in that CNRI (Python's primary
copyright holder) no longer does Python development, and CPython is being
licensed to BeOpen.com same as to you:  free of charge.  So CNRI has no
direct economic or professional interest at stake here anymore.  Usually a
company is pressured to make their license GPL-compatible, and the mechanism
is agitation against their products, via resistance or outright refusal to
bundle their products in GPL'ed systems (for one big example, Linux
distributions).  But it's no skin off CNRI's economic nose even if Python
never gets used again, so the usual tactics are impotent.  People should
appreciate that CNRI is doing more than they have to here!  They're not
required by any law to keep negotiating on this point, and it's expensive
for them to do so.  The FSF should also appreciate that CNRI *loves*
lawyers, and with nothing else at stake here has no reason to back down from
what they believe is correct.

For now, though, it's still just a technical legal disagreement over whether
the CNRI license *is* incompatible with the GPL.  We still hope it can be
resolved at this cordial level, too.

BeOpen PythonLabs is stuck in the middle, and so are Python's users.  We and
you have no real say in the matter.  Guido doesn't hold to the FSF's
philosophy, but is not opposed to the FSF pursuing it themselves.  So he
wants a new license "same as the old" license:  one that doesn't try to
"infect" anything else on its own, but does allow GPL fans to release
derived & combined works under the GPL when that's what *they* want.  The
only official philosophies pushed by Guido are the Golden Rule voluntarily
observed, and that everyone accept him as Benevolent Dictator for Life
(which is, after all, just the Golden Rule in action <wink>).

do-unto-guido-as-he-would-have-you-do-unto-him-ly y'rs  - tim