No Python 2.0 (was Re: idiom for initial list of lists)

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Sun Sep 10 01:49:22 EDT 2000

aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:

>I think at the very least anyone proferring a 2.0 solution should
>clearly mention that 2.0 is not shipping yet.  I think it's cruel to
>hold out a carrot in front of someone and then snatch it away.

I don't understand this point.  2.0b is available for anyone to
install.  Is the objection that it's beta?  1.6 has been alpha/beta
for a long time too.  It's not realistic to always refrain from
talking about something until it's out of beta.

Maybe you're just not aware that anyone can go to PythonLabs
website and grab 2.0b?

I understand if you're doing commercial work and need 1.5.2 or
whatever for that purpose.  What I'm objecting to is this use
of the word "shipping".  Having something one mouse click away
from installable looks like "shipping" to me.

Kirby