What is Python?

Tim Hammerquist tim at degree.ath.cx
Fri Sep 29 02:18:40 EDT 2000

Grant Edwards <ge at nowhere.none> wrote:
> Mikael Olofsson wrote:
> >
> >What? Is "it" deprecated?
>
> When used to refer to a person, "it" is generally considered
> insulting.  And it sounds funny:
>
> "When a programmer needs to write a quick utility program, it
> should consider using Python."

Pre-feminist convention dictated that person whose gender was irrelevant
defaulted to masculine.  Hence, "...he should consider using Python."
OTOH, if a machine were attempting to learn, "it" might be insulted at
personification of this sort, whether masculine or feminine...  Where do
we draw the line at who (what?) we respect?

However, I have no qualms with inviduals choosing to default to the
feminine, especially in anything as informal as a newsgroup.

I saw a sign at the University of
California, Santa Cruz, which, instead of "Keep off grass", suggested
"Respect our Vegetation."  What's next?  Should we salute the grass
before a picnic?  Play a requiem prior to mowing the lawn?  If we grant
citizenship to vegetation, what will vegetarians eat?

Just some thoughts to ponder...  =)

--
-Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org>
A child of five would understand this.