Running python from cygwin with .py-extension --- import: not found

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Sep 7 14:10:31 EDT 2000

Olav wrote:

> Calvelo Daniel wrote:
>

> > It seems that your script is not interpreted by Python. Those are not
> > Python errors.
>
> No, the script is interpreted.  The problem is  importing  the  libraries:

Yes, but interpreted by what?

> /home/olav> cat hello.py
> print "Hello world"
> /home/olav> hello.py
> Can't find file Hello world

I'm guessing that your shell is finding a "print" command on your PATH,
but that the "print" command can't find what it thinks to be a file.

> /home/olav> cat hello2.py
> import os
> print "Hello world"
> /home/olav> hello2.py
> import: not found

This strongly corroborates the suspicion that your shell* is doing the
interpretation and not the Python interpreter.  No Python interpreter
would complain about import, and even if it did it would raise a Name
exception rather than using the "not found" message.

> Can't find file Hello world

This is the shell* compaining about the SECOND line of the script.

> /home/olav> python hello2.py
> Hello world
> /home/olav>

Aha!  So when the Python interpreter sees your script it does indeed
interpret it correctly.

> (....That it is trying to look for the file-name instead of printing is also
> interesting.....)
>

> > I tried to use a script with a '#!/usr/bin/env python' first line
> > and it works exactly as in UNIX, ie call it directly after a 'chmod +x'.
>
> I am uing PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.ph
> (in the NT environment this variable is in fact not visible in cygwin)
>
> .....Though perhaps I should look into the "#"-way of doing it?
>

> Merci!
> Olav

You might want to look into

	http://www.toolwood.dk/freeware/PythonLauncher

or take advice about how otherwise to make Python scripts executable in the
Windows NT environment.  The "#!" hack is solely for U**x, sorry.

regards
 Steve

* For "shell" above, read "NT command interpreter".
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/