Incompatible .pyd files with Python 2.0 (and win32comm)

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Thu Oct 19 01:20:19 EDT 2000

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:39EE7B4C.27544FCC at engcorp.com...

> I'm not sure exposing _all_ the semantics of the Win32 API is even a
> good idea for many uses of Python.  Something more along the lines
of a
> cross-platform API would likely work better.  Perhaps the Java comm
> stuff could be a model?  Or is that only for the Win32 environment?

Agreed.  That is one exact reason why I did not write a high-level
layer at this stage.  If a cross-platform API was designed that
covered the majority of users, this would be a far better solution.
However, I'm not going to design or champion it (I would implement it
for Windows, tho ;-)

> I wonder if a fairly simple read()/write() interface would be
suitable,

I believe that any design would have to incorporate some sort of
asynch capability - this could be a simple event/lock type object, or
could try and re-use the asynch socket API.  But this this is exactly
why _I_ don't want to design it - I would rather see someone with
fairly sophisticated serial IO requirements or experience be
involved...

Mark.