Does a PVM (Python Virtual Maschine) exists ?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 10:32:09 EDT 2000

"Stephan Becker" <stephan.becker at oracle.com> wrote in message
news:39DDD7E4.E0BC5E26 at oracle.com...

Python's virtual machine (VM) is part of the shared-library
(.DLL on Windows, .so on Linux and most Unix versions, etc)
that is named python20 for Python 2.0.  You can feed a compiled
Python bytecode file (foo.pyc) at the VM via the python
executable (python.exe on Windows, just python on Unix),
or any other custom executable that will load and suitably
initialize the VM.  The same DLL/so also houses the compiler
and other tidbits, but that shouldn't be a problem, as it's
not too large anyway.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to your objective and concerns:

> I´am planing to write a middle tier application using python.
> I like to communicate with other instances of my persistent Python
> Servlet on different servers using the ORB  protocoll or any other
> matching middle tier communication facility.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the ORB protocoll" (CORBA?  Python
does support several existing CORBA ORB's), but this should surely
be feasible.

Alex