[Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich comparison

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Mon Oct 23 22:07:27 EDT 2000

"Charles Boncelet" <boncelet at udel.edu> wrote in message
news:39F4A4DE.9202540A at udel.edu...
> I often want 2/3 to equal 0, but then again I learned FORTRAN years ago.
>
> My point is that if 2/3 = 0.667, then special syntax is needed for those
> applications that want 2/3=0.  The current syntax is very simple, even
> if slightly confusing to a complete newby.

To the newbie, floating points are more likely to be confusing than
integers, because of the inherent inaccuracies in floating points.  At least
integers guarantee that (a+b)-b equals a (in the absence of
overflow/underflow).

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com