[Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich comparison

Charles Boncelet boncelet at udel.edu
Mon Oct 23 16:51:42 EDT 2000

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> > Are people doing the kind of numeric programming with "complex
> > algorithms" using Python that Konrad refers to? More importantly, how
> > many people?
>
> At least one: me.

Me, too.

> > >  Guido thinks that 2/3 returning 0 was a design mistake,
> > > but not that math.sqrt(-1) raising an exception is a mistake.  Most Python
> > > users won't know what to do with a complex number, so it's "an error" to
> > > them.

I often want 2/3 to equal 0, but then again I learned FORTRAN years ago.

My point is that if 2/3 = 0.667, then special syntax is needed for those
applications that want 2/3=0.  The current syntax is very simple, even
if slightly confusing to a complete newby.

    Charlie Boncelet

--
Charles Boncelet                              302-831-8008
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering   302-831-4316 (fax)
University of Delaware                        boncelet at eecis.udel.edu
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~boncelet/