Number of Python Users

echuck3 at my-deja.com echuck3 at my-deja.com
Tue Oct 3 17:56:01 EDT 2000

In article
<7DD36DE71CAA3CA4.89695785C739D34A.A0EFCBE9BC541CE9 at lp.airnews.net>,
  claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> In article <8rb8an$jfl$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <echuck at mindspring.com>
wrote:
> >Is there any kind of estimate on the number of Python users? Or even
> >related numbers, like # of downloads of 1.5.2?
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> A couple of years ago, gossip circulated "half a million" as
> a number which I believe originated with the O'Reilly empire.
> It's a very fuzzy question, by the way--you do understand
> that, right?  What's the use of the estimate?  Is it for com-
> parison with a Java head-count, as diagnostic for a policy
> decision about the wisdom of reliance on a "minority language"?
> --
>
> Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>

Yes, I do understand that it's fuzzy.

And in response to someone else's question: I meant actual developers,
not people who happen to run Python programs (and may not even know it).

Also, thanks to Martin von Loewis who pointed me to a FAQ which pointed
me to: http://www.python.org/stats/ which doesn't answer the question
directly, but has some related numbers.

The purpose of my question is to tell the client something like "there
are an estimated 500,000 people using Python" so they don't panic about
a technology they haven't heard of before.

-Chuck

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.