OT: gcc -g (Was: Re: Compilation of Python 2.0c1)

Kalle Svensson kalle at gnupung.net
Tue Oct 10 10:50:49 EDT 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Neil Schemenauer wrote:

> [Kalle Svensson on OPT=-g]
> > I believe this won't turn off the optimizer, only add debugging.
>
> It will unless Mandrake has done something strange with their
> compiler.

Quoting the gcc info manual, node "Debugging Options":

     Unlike most other C compilers, GNU CC allows you to use `-g' with
     `-O'.  The shortcuts taken by optimized code may occasionally

This is for an older version of gcc on redhat, however.
[kalle at shaft kalle]$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

Also, I haven't tested it, so you may well be right anyway.

Regards,
  Kalle
--
Email: kalle at gnupung.net     | You can tune a filesystem, but you