PythonWin IDE sucks!

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 18:44:55 EDT 2000

"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" <qrczak at knm.org.pl> wrote in message
news:slrn8vjnr8.kqo.qrczak at qrnik.knm.org.pl...
> Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:07:49 +0200, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> pisze:
>
> > as it runs the code under development in the same process as the IDE,
> > if said code does something sufficiently disruptive (and bugs will
> > cause that, sometimes...), then the IDE itself hangs or crashes.
> > (I consider this "proof" that an IDE must run the code being
> > developed under _another_, separate process
>
> Unless it is implemented in a safe language.

If a "safe language" is one that, among other things, cannot access
through foreign-function interfaces any other in-process component,
I guess.  Most language implementations these days do offer a FFI,
as their actual usefulness for anything but toy/teaching stuff would
be negligible if they didn't (cfr unsigned Java applets...:-).

If you _can_ load a .so/.DLL/ActiveX control/in-process COMponent/
etc, etc, then it doesn't matter much what language you're loading it
from -- your process *can* hang or crash, period.

Alex