PythonWin IDE sucks!

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 30 17:30:01 EST 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:47:13 +1300, Greg Ewing <see at my.signature> wrote:
>Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:
>>
>> To test a module, I import it into PythonWin using the Import/Reload
>> button and then instantiate a class in the Interactive Window.
>>
>> After a failure, I fix the offending code and Import/Reload again.
>> However, the same failure occurs
>
>Are you still using the instance that you created the first
>time around? That instance will still be referring to the
>old definition of the class.
>
>After a reload, you have to make sure that you get rid of
>any existing instances and create fresh ones.

Great post!  <The exclamation is NOT meant to reduce its power> Now I see
what all these flames are about.  Here's an example for those still not
getting it:

from module import object
<hand edit module.py>
import module               # only put old module in current space
reload (module)             # module is new, but object still old
from module import object   # now object is new as well.

It is easy to miss one or two of these during interactive session and get
confused by new edits showing old behavior. (Import module only need to be
done once per session.)

Huaiyu