Python and tkinter on FBSD 4.1

me lists at pixelhammer.com
Wed Oct 11 00:52:54 EDT 2000

I seem to be having a problem getting tkinter support compiled into Python. I
have the proper headers for tkinter support, in the proper place (I believe)
but make can't seem to find them.

I got desperate and thinking something had changed between 1.5 and 2.0 I
reread the instructions in Modules/Setup before editing and read the
instructions on the python/tkiner website but no luck. I'm still doing it
right.

Currently:
FreeBSD 4.1
TK 8.2   -> /usr/local/lib/tk8.2 /usr/local/include/tk8.2
Tcl 8.2  -> /usr/local/lib/tcl8.2 /usr/local/include/tcl8.2
Python 2.0
tcl/tk headers in /usr/lib/tk8.2 and /usr/lib/tcl8.2

Error in make is at _tkinter.c and it claims my tk version is under 8.0. I can
edit the Setup file (change to -L/usr/local/lib/tk8.2 from -L/usr/local/lib and
so on) and get past this point, but then it claims it cannot find the headers for tcl/tk

I can move the headers up to /usr/local/include and then make can't find X11.h. The
problem is compounding and I'm sure there is a better way.

Where am I going wrong?

DAve