Worked on DCOM Today

Steve Williams sandj.williams at gte.net
Tue Oct 10 23:10:49 EDT 2000

Started with Python 'Server execution error',  VBA "ActiveX can't create
object..."  Nothing showing in the debug trace.

Server works with local client, remote client gives 'Server execution
error'.

Suddenly, things started to work.  Why?  What did I change?  The remote
client started to show up in the trace.  Everything's working.

Debugged a Unicode problem.  Changed the Python server code,
reregistered and ran.  Same unicode error--the trace showed the old
server program was still invoked, not the new version.

Unregistered server and client, reregistered.  Old program still
running.  Deleted pyc files, unregistered, reregistered, old program
still running.  Where was the old program coming from?

Unregistered and deleted everything, rebooted client and server.  Now
Pythonpath no longer has win32com on client and server.  How did that
happen?  I didn't modify Pythonpath to begin with.

Added win32com back to PythonPath with regedit.  Back to 'Server
execution error', no progress since then.