good python tutorials for C mother-tongues?

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Tue Oct 3 03:11:12 EDT 2000

June Kim wrote:

> Just as the subject goes.
>
> Are there any good python tutorials for
> professional programmers who's been
> brought up in C language?

The tutorial that comes with Python (by Guido van Rossum, Python's
creator) is very good.  I spent one full working day going through it,
and I felt like I had a basic understanding of Python at the end of the
day.  Then, in the next few days, I was able to write several small (but
non-trivial) programs in Python.

I bet most experienced C programmers would have a similar experience.
The only thing that might be difficult for C (but not C++) programmers
is Python's object-oriented features.  If you don't already know about
OO programming, Python is probably a good language to learn it in, but
Guido's tutorial is directed at teaching how _Python_ does OO, not at
teaching OO concepts in general.  (There are lots of good (and not so
good) books on that.)

The next thing I did was read the book "Learning Python" cover-to-cover,
which filled in some details.  Now, after having practiced Python for
many months, I'm reading "Python Essential Reference" cover-to-cover.
Again, that fills in more details.

Also, I recommend you study the online documentation for Python's most
useful modules: os, os.path, sys, and string; you will use one or more
of these in nearly any substantial Python program.  (Python has a
zillion modules, so I kindda had to figure out for myself which modules
I should really "learn".)

one-of-the-nicest-things-about-Python-is-that-you-can-learn-it-in
   -layers-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com