Newbie biting off more than he can chew, can you lend some molars?

dwelden at my-deja.com dwelden at my-deja.com
Mon Oct 30 15:09:41 EST 2000

In article <k9frvskphkfflnio0o9c34sgnvavb0h7d7 at 4ax.com>,
  dale at out-think.NOSPAM.co.uk wrote:
> dwelden at my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >I have a vendor supplied Perl module that I would like to convert
into
> >a Python module. I am very new to Python and don't have much of a
clue
> >on creating extension modules, but from what I have learned so far it
> >looks like what I want to do is feasible.
> >
> >Any takers?
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.
>
> Could you provide a bit more information:
>
> 1. any takers to do what? Write it? Help you write it?
> 2. what does it do?
> 3. what is the OS and environment?
>
> That should get the ball rolling.
> --
> Dale Strickland-Clark
> Out-Think Ltd
> Business Technology Consultants

The module is a wrapper for a collection of dll's that interface with
the Hyperion Essbase OLAP Server. The OS for which I am interested is
Windows NT, but it also works with AIX, Sun, etc. The module can be
reviewed at http://www.essbase.com/main.asp?webpagekey=219

The distribution includes the Perl module (Essbase.pm), the XSUB source
(Essbase.xs), and make files for Windows and for Unix. I would like
someone to either do the conversion for me (for free of course ;) or at
least to provide me detailed assistance to do it myself. I know less
about Perl and XSUB than I do about Python, and what I know about SWIG
is about the same.

Granted as my subject line stated, this is a lot for a newbie to take
on. I would much rather exploit this module using Python than Perl. If
any kind soul(s) out there can render assistance, I would be most
appreciative.