Python on the iPAQ

Jeff Kunce kuncej at mail.conservation.state.mo.us
Tue Oct 24 15:19:24 EDT 2000

> > python is now available for the Compaq iPAQ running under Linux from
> > www.handhelds.org.
>
> This is really a fun looking project and I'd even consider trying
> it on my IPAQ.  That is, if I had my IPAQ.  It's been backordered
> for months with no clear end in sight.

An exciting development, to be sure, but be sure to read the "gotchas" at:
   ftp://ftp.handhelds.org/pub/linux/compaq/ipaq/stable/install.html
"If this installation fails then your iPAQ could become unusable"
"If you install Linux at this time then you may not return to WinCE"

> Any chance python will work in the IPAQ under WinCE? Just
> curious.

Last I heard, nobody had updated Python CE to run on
any of the newer Pocket PC models. The whole project
seems to be hibernating. Mailing List:
   http://www.egroups.com/list/python-ce
Mark's CE Offerings:
  http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/ce/
Starship is currently available, but you can get a cached page
at google with these keywords: python windows CE

  --Jeff