JPython Status

shindich at my-deja.com shindich at my-deja.com
Wed Oct 4 13:47:57 EDT 2000

In article <mailman.970522690.14023.python-list at python.org>,
  Jim Althoff <jima at aspectdv.com> wrote:
> I agree with Ken's view 100 percent.  Especially in the
> enterprise B-2-B market, Java API's (J2EE, EJB's, etc.)
> have become mandatory.  JPython gives access to all of
> that -- no wrappers needed! -- along with everything that
> is great about Python.  I would love to see JPython
> become the main Python vehicle.
>
> Jim
>
> At 08:50 PM 9/30/00 -0700, Ken Swisz wrote:
> >Barry,
> >
> >     I sure hope it is resolved and JPython is continually
enhanced.  I
> >believe JPython to be the most under-rated tool in the programming
> >community.  Unfortunately, it is still in the shadows of (C)Python,
Java
> >and Perl for various reasons.  I would like to see a lot more effort
> >going
> >on in the JPython area.  I'll even be heretical, why not emphasize
> >JPython
> >development over Python development.  JPython is in the nearly unique
> >position of being able to draw on the huge number of resources
available
> >for Java.  Sometimes I have noticed that people spend a fair amount
of
> >effort building something in or for Python, when they could have
gotten
> >it
> >for free via JPython and a Java package or two.
> >
> >Ken
> >

> >"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi JPython users,
> > >
> > > I just wanted to assure you that we at BeOpen /are/ continuing
JPython
> > > development.
> > >
> > > We're all aware that jpython.org is pretty stale at the moment,
as is
> > > the official JPython 1.1 release, and we are currently working on
> > > solutions for both issues.  We're still talking with CNRI on an
> > > orderly transition, and hope they'll support us, but we also
aren't
> > > banking our commitment to JPython's future on the outcome of those
> > > talks.
> > >
> > > So please don't panic yet <wink>.  I hope this will all be
resolved in
> > > a couple of weeks.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > -Barry

While I see the importance of JPython, I would go as far as saying that
JPython should be the main Python vehicle. Let's not forget that Java
is not open source. Scott McNealy is free to screw every one up,
whenever he feels like it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.