Using Python in AI/3D Simulation

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Mon Oct 2 14:21:22 EDT 2000

Thomas Weholt (thomas at cintra.no) wrote:
> I'm working on a 3D simulation project in Python with a high degree of AI in
> it. I want to demonstrate a set of bots operating in a 3d landscape, finding
> specified objects, avoiding obstacles, learning

You might be interested in microthreads, which were developed with this
sort of application in mind. They won't help you with 3D rendering or AI,
but they will allow you to run thousands of individual bots concurrently
with much less overhead than system threads, and without twisting your
code into a pretzel with awkwardly defined state machines. See
http://world.std.com/~wware/uthread.html
for more info.

Microthreads uses Christian Tismer's Stackless Python, which has
previously existed as a patch to the 1.5.2 source code. I think he
intends to make a cleaner patch for 1.6 available some time soon.
--
# Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.