Absolute newbie install question

Chris Gehlker gehlker at fastq.com
Thu Oct 26 12:18:25 EDT 2000

I'm trying to run Python on OS X but when I open a terminal window and
type "python" it says:

[localhost:~] chrisg% python
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Python 2.0 (#2, 10/21/00, 15:40:22)
[GCC Apple DevKit-based CPP 5.0] on Darwin1.2

Calling on my aging and always limited unix knowledge, I was able to
determine that the python executable is at:
Mac OS X/bin/python
while there is a lot of Python related stuff in a hierarchy under:
Mac OS X/lib/python2.0/

I'm assuming that Python just needs to be told where this stuff is but I
have no idea how to do it.

I did look at python.org for information on how to solve this problem
but I either couldn't find or didn't recognize the answer. Is there an
absolute newbie faq someplace?