Perl rules - Python drools

David T. Grove pete at petes-place.com
Fri Oct 13 17:41:19 EDT 2000

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:38:52 +0200, "Wayne Paterson"
<waynep at staff.intekom.com> wrote:

>begin 666 cameleatingpython.jpg

If you don't mind, I won't waste my time peeking at this.

As an avid perl user: I should point out something. You are in
violation of trademark law. You are not permitted to use a camel in
association with the Perl language without specific written permission
from O'Reilly and Associates. You have also used a trademarked
O'Reilly symbol for an unauthorized attack on the Python community,
for which O'Reilly can seek additional legal remedies, since you are
misrepresenting O'Reilly and Associates to the public. Your email
address seems to indicate that you are making this attack on behalf of
your company. If this is true, your company may be held equally
liable.

That I know of, there is no such restriction on using a python image
with the python language. That would be almost impossible for O'Reilly
to hold up in court. Maybe if O'Reilly had used a four-legged octopus
for their Python book, _that_ they could trademark, not that anyone
would use it.

The disentanglement of Python from external corporate control, even in
an area such as this, is more than just a few major plusses for the
Python language... and I don't even particularly care for the Python
language. (I'm here to watch trends, learn what I can, enjoy
non-elitist community discussion, and make some objective personal and
business-level decisions.)

You might consider thinking twice before trolling, there's likely to
be someone in the group who can slam you harder than you wanna be, you
wannabe.

Pete
The Trollmeister