Python/C API

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 05:31:47 EDT 2000

"Joerg Baumann" <joerg.baumann at stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote in
message news:39DC3EE1.A4568884 at stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de...
    [snip]
> I´m trying to extend python and I have following problem with the C/API:
> Howto make a new instance of a class defined in Python from C?
    [snip]
> I´m searching for somthing like
>
> PyObject*
> f=PyInstace_New(PyString_FromString("foo"),PyString_FromString("data"))

PyObject_CallObject (or PyObject_CallFunction) are what you need,
see 6.1 in the API reference manual.  But of course you need the
object for the class, just as you need the PyObject* for any other
Python object to do something with it!  PyRun_String (see part 2
in the reference manual) may be a quick & dirty way to get it, but
you still need the object pointers for the globals & locals dicts.

Alex