LONG_BIT == 64, can't compile

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at beopen.com
Mon Oct 16 13:58:09 EDT 2000

> I just deleted the section in pyport.h generating the error, and
> everything compiled just fine. Since I don't use large integers in
> my programs I guess all will be fine until a solution to the problem
> has appeared. So if your programs don't depend on the definition of
> LONG_BIT you can try to hack your way around the problem. Hehe - I
> know this isn't an optimal solution, but it's a fast hack to get
> back in business !!!

This is a pretty bizarre hack, since you can't do integer
multiplication with the version of the interpreter you built.
There is no way that, as you say, "everything compiled just fine."
I am certain there were a bunch of compiler warnings in
Object/intobject.c.

If you want everything to actually compile correctly and the
regression test to work (make test), you should explicitly set #define
LONG_BIT to be 32 before the test in pyport.h.

Jeremy