How can I get a list of all public symbols in Python librararies

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Mon Oct 30 18:38:51 EST 2000

 | In order to build support for dictation of Python code, I need a list of
 | all the symbols (functions, methods, classes, variables) defined in the
 | standard Python libraries.
[...]
 | Any suggestions on what would be the easiest way to get such a list?

one definition of what's public is what's documented - so you
could extract the symbols from the docs. the doc sources (tex)
would be quite easy to scan for these.

the other obvious way would be to use the python introspection
features to look for them. maybe you could use the pyclbr module,
which provides class browser support. also worth looking
at may be inspect and htmldoc by ka-ping yee, you can
find those at <URL:http://www.lfw.org/python/> (bottom of page).

  -- erno