JPython Status

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sat Oct 7 09:30:28 EDT 2000

Ivan Frohne wrote:

> "Bernhard Reiter" <breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE> wrote in message
> > > (Ivan Frohne): But CPython is not really open source, either.
> >
> > This is not true.
> > Python qualifies as open source and free software.
> > Java implementations from Sun do not. And Sun has a firm grip
> > legal on the java specs.
>
> I'll be the first to admit that my understanding of the term "open source"
> is fuzzy and imprecise, but I do know what I like.

I dunno...I think its pretty clear.  Despite all the hype, "open source"
simply means software whose source (that is, its most easily modified
manifestation) is open (that is, publicly available).

There's a very good reason the OSI's application to claim the term "open
source" as a trademark was rejected.  (In fact, in retrospect, the whole
nutty trademark thing comes across as a bit Mephistophelean. <wink>)
One can only suppose they have FSF folks have better legal
representation than the OSI.  The FSF has never tried to trademark the
general term "free software", even though they use it as a trade name.
(Heck, they don't even capitalize it: just imagine how far "coca-cola"
would have gotten without capital letters. <wink>)

In case anybody asks, "free software" is just like "open source" in the
sense that it actually means exactly what you'd think it means.  It just
means "software you don't have to pay for".  (And if anybody ever tries
to tell you "free software" is any different than "free beer", just show
them how to set their beer "free" by breaking its bottle.)

but-please:-*not*-over-richard-stallman's-head-<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com