WIN32 questions

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Wed Oct 25 01:58:17 EDT 2000

"Drew Whitehouse" <Drew.Whitehouse at anu.edu.au> wrote in message
news:wlbsw9wlsp.fsf at anu.edu.au...

>     Mark> A service wont really do what you want in the general
case.

> I was thinking of the service more for the starting and stopping the
> client programs, assuming. In a UNIX world I would have the control
> system use something like remote shell. eg

This would work, so long as the program (or the programs it spawns)
doesn't need to interact with users.  The NT/2000 concept of
"desktops" may get in your way here.

Everything you describe regarding watching the processes is pretty
easy, but maintaing this in a UI for the user, especially with the
possibility of users logging on and off, is pretty tricky.  If you are
happy with a "normal" program, run from the startup folder, then it
should be pretty simple...

Mark.