Is Python any good with MySQL?

Keith MacDonald keith at nojunk.textpad.com
Mon Nov 6 15:21:19 EST 2000

Skip,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem is that the link command includes "/EXPORT:init_mysqlmodule",
but I can't figure out where that code is emitted.  It does not seem to have
anything to do with the files that are part of the MySQLdb distribution.

This is really the essence of the problem.  Python has an enthusiastic
following, who presumably know it inside out, but it just keeps throwing up
hurdles at newcomers.  There are various ways of judging success, but in
this context, Python will only be really successful if new users can just
pick it up and run with it.  For most people, real life pressures preclude
immersing yourself in each new technology that comes along.  I'm prepared to
devote time to learning Python on the job, as long as I'm learning to use it
to solve my problems, not wasting time making it work at all.

- Keith