Is Python any good with MySQL?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Nov 6 08:46:01 EST 2000

Keith MacDonald wrote:

> At first inspection, Python seems a much cleaner language, but I'm
> disappointed about its lack of inbuilt support for databases.  This is such
> a fundamental requirement nowadays that it is worrying that it has been left
> to 3rd party add-ons.

I'm afraid I can't speak to your problems with mxODBC and mySQL, never
having used them.

I think, however, that it is an Extremely Good Thing that database
support, and many other things, are not tightly integrated into the
Python language.  Lack of modularity is the root of all software evil,
and I'm very thankful Python (ala Guido) Got It Right by leaving such
things out.

It sounds like your problems are caused by poor documentation, or
perhaps a lack of example code, or a poor design for the adapter package
you are trying to use, but not by the fact that Python does not come
with built-in database support.

--
Peter Hansen