Is Python any good with MySQL?

Alain TESIO alain at onesite.org
Mon Nov 6 16:50:11 EST 2000

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 12:17:04 -0800, "Stephen R. Figgins" <fig at monitor.net> wrote:

>Jon Ribbens wrote:
>> I have extensive experience with PHP, which has eventually driven me
>> to give up on it and move to Python. I really, really dis-recommend it.
>
>Could you contrast the two for us, and why it is you have moved to python?
>
>Stephen R. Figgins

I'm also moving from PHP to Python.
I've found that PHP is perfectly suitable if you want to add sporadically some dynamic
elements into HTML files, but you quickly reach the limit if you want to build a real
application or for sites where the dynamically generated contents are essential.

PHP lacks of a lot of points which Python provides a real high-level language, like
exceptions, dictionaries, ...
And you can easily share code to either generate web pages and run scripts.
With PHP, as soon as you need to do something else like parsing incoming messages or
crontab jobs, you quickly feel the need for something else like perl or python, and then
you wonder why you used PHP ...

For example, I'm working on a online mailing list archiving system (similar to MHonArc
 written in Perl or maybe Pipermail, but it uses a database to store the messages, instead
of generating static html files, and it has a builtin search engine), I'll release it in
some time, I couldn't have done it so easily with PHP. Anyone else working on something
similar ?

I hope to remove soon the php logo out of my site at onesite.org ...
Alain