Is Python any good with MySQL?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 15:33:01 EST 2000

"Keith MacDonald" <keith at nojunk.textpad.com> wrote in message
news:QsBN5.6523$Fi.22175 at NewsReader...
> Alex,
>
> Thanks for the information, but here's what I got when I tried to build
> MySQLdb on Windows 2000, with Visual C++ 6:
> > (the following URL...:
> > http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4188/fid/395/lang/
> > points to a pre-built Windows binary of this module, in case you
> > lack a compiler on Windows to build the binary from sources),

OK, you don't lack a compiler, but can't you just use the pre-built
Windows binary anyway?!  I don't know how it ever got built if there's
a bug in its Windows makefile/.dsp/whatever, but according to the
link I'm quoting, built it was, so you could be using that (while
writing the module's author and this newsgroup for clarification).

> I can't argue about the MySQL interface in Perl being in a separate
module,
> but the difference is that ActiveState have "adopted" one, so all I had to

I don't know why ActiveState, who put together packaged
distributions for both Perl and Python, have decided, as you
say, to "adopt" a specific MySql interface module for Perl,
but have come to a different decision for Python.  They have
their own discussion forum set up on their website, though,
so it would no doubt be more productive to ask them, if an
ActiveState distribution is what you want (hey, for all I know,
by now they may have 'adopted' some MySql interface for
Python, too -- who knows!).

I've found mxODBC quite usable (but then, I haven't tried
using it with MySql -- with Gadfly [the speedy Python-built
RDBMS] for lightweight needs, and SQL Server/freely
redistributable MSDE for heavier stuff, I've found no need),
and that is surely what I'd use if I needed portability (with
no such need, I find ADO nicer -- but, it IS Windows-only).

Alex