make uninstall

Gerrit Holl gerrit at NOSPAM.nl.linux.org
Sat Nov 4 04:51:46 EST 2000

On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:06:31 GMT, fritzlein at my-deja.com wrote:
> Thank you so much, Gerrit, for helping out a newbie.  You are very kind
> to a poor soul who is very clueless.
>
> > > I (as myself, not root) installed python 2.0b1
> > > [...]
> > I don't understand. If you didn't install as root, how
> > can he have put files in /usr/local? You shouldn't have
> > writing access there.
>
> Ah ha, the mystery is explained.  The reason there was something
> in /usr/local was that Mr. root had installed Python 2.0 later and
> without telling me.  That also explains why I couldn't delete it.  My
> install must have gone somewhere else.
>
> The weird thing is that when I type "which python" I

try 'type -a'. It's possible that it occurs in your path multiple
times, and which only names the first.

> get "/usr/bin/python/", which shouldn't be my install either, for two
> reasons.  (A) Why would I have write permissions in /usr/bin but
> not /usr/local/bin? and (B) I was sure I installed a 2.0 beta,
> but /usr/bin/python is calling itself 1.5.2.  Obviously I need to talk
> more with my sysadmin.

If you installed python yourself, too, it's probably in your home dir.
Try looking for 'python' with find & locate.

> > > Please forgive such a newbie question, but "make
> > > uninstall" is the only method I know to get rid
> > > of a program, that just gives me
> >
> > Yau can simply remove the different parts with "rm". If it's not
> > installed as RPM that isn't dangerous anyway.
>
> I'm off to rm everything I can get my hands on.  It's good to know it
> isn't dangerous.  ;-)  Also I will try to get on better terms with my
> sysadmin.

Well, it _can_ be dangerous to 'rm everyting you can get your hands on'.
I wouldn't do that if I were you...

> > Save Mother Earth! -- Earth First! --
>
> Amen!  And vote for Nader!

I'm not a US citizen, but yes, vote Nader.

regards,
Gerrit.