P*rl in Latin, whither Python?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 14:38:56 EST 2000

"Samuel A. Falvo II" <kc5tja at garnet.armored.net> wrote in message
news:slrn90oemp.t5.kc5tja at garnet.armored.net...
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:51:58 GMT, Steve Williams wrote:
> >http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/HTML/Perligata.html
>
> Now THIS is fascinating.  I honestly didn't think Perl could have its
syntax
> cleaned up so well.  Not that I understand Latin, but it sure looks a lot
> cleaner.

I do (have a bit of Latin), and, despite the unfamiliarity of seeing
it used that way, I find it MUCH clearer than real Perl!

> >I propose Python in Finnish.
>
> I take it Italian is too close to Latin for you?  :)  How about Japanese?

Italian, like most modern European languages, relies on
prepositions, punctuation, word-order -- inflections are
very little used (on a par with, say, French).  Latin (and
other languages contemporary to it, such as Old German)
were quite different this way... which is the key idea of
Lingua Latina Perligata!

Alex