Python IDEs and eXtreme Programming

Cees de Groot cg at gaia.cdg.acriter.nl
Mon Nov 6 15:19:56 EST 2000

Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at post1.com> said:
>I wonder if these facilitate or inhibit XP, such as pair programming
>and ContinuousIntegration.

I wonder what the best Python Unit testing package is and why there are three
versions (last count) - that's probably the most important question...

>I am expecting to find Java code monke^H^H^H^H^Hpeople who have
>worked with the usual Windows-type IDEs. I believe I am unlikely
>to find up to 10 Python programmers who can do vim and CVS. ;-)

You probably can hunt for C++/Java programmers, they'll make the transition
quite easily (show them Zope if they don't believe that you can do anything
serious in a "scripting language"). I doubt whether you'll convince Smalltalk
programmers to make the switch.

I'm not an IDE lover, but I find myself using IDLE very often. Seems to do
what I need, it's enough Emacs-compatible so that I don't get confused, and is
probably one of the first IDE's that I've encountered that doesn't get in the
way. But for XP'ing it's probably more important that you have a good
red/green bar somewhere on the desktop, and that the routine "save work, run
tests" is as easy as possible.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Forge your CipherSaber and list it: http://www.xs4all.nl/~cg/ciphersaber/