The origin of Python?

Gareth McCaughan Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
Fri Nov 17 21:05:22 EST 2000

June Kim wrote:
> I read from Guido's writing that "Python" came from his favourite comedy
> show Monty Python. Now I wonder where Monty Python came from, and what it
> stands for. Is it a person's name or what?

"Monty Python's Flying Circus" was a series of programmes
on British television in the 1970s. There was nothing very
special about the name; they considered lots of others
and that was the best they found. I recently saw (but
have completely forgotten where, alas) a list of names
they considered and rejected. It doesn't stand for anything.
Its very arbitrariness might be symbolic of the deliberately
bizarre nature of the programmes, though.

Gareth McCaughan  Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
sig under construc