python's acceptance

Scott Hathaway slhath at flash.net
Thu May 4 09:36:03 EDT 2000

I think that there are several things to gain in each case:

C/C++
 * Python can be coded much faster than C/C++
 * Due to the structure with indenting, Python is much cleaner and easier to
read/maintain
 * Porting C/C++ programs to other platforms can be difficult depending on
the functionality

VB
 * VB only runs on Windows while Python runs on just about every major
platform
 * VB teaches bad programming habits and Python teaches good programming
habits
 * Python is truly OO, while VB is only partially OO

Perl
 * Python (in my humble opinion) is much easier to learn
 * Python is much more readable and easier to maintain

This is a very simple and small list, but it could be somewhere to start.

Scott

"Ulf Engstrøm" <ulf.engstrom at b2b-link.com> wrote in message
news:019c01bfb5c9$057faa90$858647c1 at DEVELOPMENT...
> Not at all a reply, but something I've been thinking about (well,
actually,
> customers are wondering) and that kinda has to do with this.
> 'What is the gain for a customer when I'm using Python as oppesed to Java,
> C/C++, VB, Perl...?'
> On the programming side it's easy to give examples of 'why Python'. I have
> several reason myself for the customer side as well and management here
can
> come up with quite a few more. But what I'm wondering is if there excists
> such a list already, with comparisons. If there is one, where? If not,
let's
> create one for all of us to post up to, something everyone can use.
> Eventhough we know why to use it ourselves, it sometimes hard to convince
> customer.
> Anyway, on top of the list is for sure: 'The great Python community' :)
> Regards
> Ulf
>

> > This post is meant to generate thoughtful discussion, not burn me to a
> > crisp, so here it goes.
> >
> > I am a Windows programmer who uses mostly VB (I know how bad it is...I
use
> > it all the time).  I love the language syntax of python!  It is clean,
> easy,
> > and extremely powerful.  Yet, I have two items that I believe keep
Python