Python, Palm, on Windows

Ben Darnell bgdarnel at my-deja.com
Mon May 8 23:22:52 EDT 2000

In article <koKR4.937$Xl.71947 at news.goodnet.com>, Tom Vrankar wrote:
>I'm working my way up to programming on the Palm platform by leveraging Python
>to prepare data on the desktop (just figured out how to manipulate the
>Windows registry to "install" files). I'm now up the point where I want to be
>able to operate on data inside a Palm via a PC's serial port (for example, to
>use my Windows PC at the office to add and extract individual files, er,
>databases, without a full-blown HotSync).

You can do this much with just pilot-link (use os.system or friends if
you want to do it in Python).  Windows binaries are available at
http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~christ/pilot-xfer/

>I've read about pilot-link and pyrite. I'd like to try them but haven't found
>any Windows-binaries of the core. Anyone know a site where I can get it (and
>odds that it'll be recompiled for use with python1.6)?

You'll need Pyrite if you want to operate on anything smaller than a
database.  Unforch, there are no Windows binaries of Pyrite.  I tried
compiling it using the instructions at
http://starship.python.net/crew/kernr/mingw32/Notes.html
but it didn't work.  It looks like you need MSVC and/or more Windows
coding experience (or maybe just more persistence/stubbornness)
than I have to get it to work.  It shouldn't be that hard for someone
who know's what he's doing, since pilot-link is already ported.

HTH,
-Ben

--
Ben Darnell              bgdarnel at unity.nc su.edu