Stackless/microthreads merge news

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue May 16 15:29:00 EDT 2000

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> cg at gaia.cdg.acriter.nl (Cees de Groot) writes:
>
> > Christian Tismer  <tismer at tismer.com> said:
> [ my comments about java and COBOL snipped ]
>
> > > This argument has hit me right between the eyes.  I may be changing
> > > targets again, not so sure, but see Jeff Senn's post and my reply.
> > > Rebuilding Python as a very tiny, scalable engine for
> > > microcontrollers could be what we need, soon.
>
> > Gee, you're easy to influence. One Java-hater passes by, drops a
> > couple of casual and largely incorrect remarks, and you immediately
> > retarget...

Glyph doesn't claim to be objective, but he has been with
Java for all of its life, and now he's about to leave it.
I know to identify a master's voice, sometimes.
If Tim Peters had said "don't write Stackless"...
...well he didn't.

Or did he? :-)

> The python community, dispite being waaay smaller, seems more diverse
> and generally more fun.  Certainly, less deluded about the limitations
> of the language.  (I *love* watching popular net.personality python
> lovers argue about its deficiencies without coming to hate it!)

This is where I want to stay. I skimmed the Java lists...
...hmm, smells harder than the Delphi lists which I left long time ago.

> > Side note: I haven't followed the whole stackless discussion, but I
> > don't understand why you can get C to follow your ideas without
> > having to modify the sillicon machine it's running on, while for
> > Java you would need to have to modify the software machine it's
> > running on. But then, I'm a no-brainer doing Java...
>
> Because he didn't make C stackless: he made Python-in-C stackless, and
> CPython is an implementation of a virtual machine as well as a
> language.  JPython relies upon the Java virtual machine, and is just
> an implmentation of the Python language.  Therefore, in order to make
> JPython stackless, he has to edit the Java virtual machine, in order
> to make CPython stackless, he had to edit the Python virtual machine.

Very, very right. Thanks for reading source code
(you're probably the first one :-))

> In fact, he commented that making C itself stackless would be too hard
> to really consider seriously and nobody in the community would
> appreciate it at all.

Yes. It would be hard to make portable.
Instead, I'm trying to get rid of C and want
to use a language where I can control stacks
more easily. The last barrier in Stackless Python is
to make a couple of internal functions stackless as well,
but it is so hard in C that I need another bytecode
interpreter to do that.
Well, guess what that should be.

let's-see-how-far-I-can-come-forth - ly y'rs - chris