translating Perl Cookbook?

steven2 at satunet.com steven2 at satunet.com
Mon May 22 15:43:08 EDT 2000

Hi,

Just  wondering  if  anybody  is interested in translating the recipes
(and  as  much as the other code snippets) from The Perl Cookbook into
Python.

I  understand  that  some  code will not translate smoothly or produce
"optimal"  Python  code,  but  the purpose is to help people with Perl
background  to  learn and master Python faster -- as they will tend to
expect  Python  to  be  able  to  do many of the tasks they previously
accomplish using Perl. A greater proportion of the recipes in the Perl
Cookbook  is  not  about Perl syntax, but about doing common tasks, so
perhaps we should concentrate on those parts first.

I hope this will be a fun project; being a Perl coder and currently in
the Python learning curve, I thought that working on this project will
be a great way to learn Python for me.  :-)

If there is enough interest, I will setup an account at SourceForge to
host this project so that people can contribute code.

Regards,
Steven Haryanto