Compiled version when .cgi extension is used for scripts

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue May 16 13:30:11 EDT 2000

"Bernard Niset" <bn at 7ways.com> écrit:

> Our site is using python extensively and very succesfully.  The only
> thing is that I decided to name the cgis script with an extension in
> .cgi instead of .py.  The drawback of this decision is that no compiled
> version is generated when a script is executed meaning that it needs a
> recompilation on each execution.

Same here.  However, it is almost an advantage! :-)

When installing my sites (with `make'), a few small `SCRIPT.cgi.in'
files get turned into `SCRIPT.cgi' in the CGI directory, with one or
two paths substituted to directories holding Web-site specific modules.
These modules are installed as well by `make', and would then be compiled
by Python at execution, if they have not been compiled already by the
installation process.

Recompiling a small script every time is acceptable to me!  The bulk of
the scripts is imported in compiled form.