Future of the Python Linux Distribution

Oliver Andrich oli at rz-online.net
Sun May 7 13:35:26 EDT 2000

Hi everybody,

I like to announce that the Python4Linux effort I started finally needs a new
maintainer, who has the time and passion to push the project. Chad Netzer and
I don't have the time. I myself will start working in a new company where I
have to use the other "P" language. On the other hand it is worth discussing
if such a beast as the distribution is needed at all? All the major Linux
distributions include uptodate Python packages and they seem to work fine.
What will be lost is the easy to install add-on packages. So, all the users
can make up their mind on this, and decide if they want to rtake the job. It
is fun, it is fullfilling and you get in contact with interesting people. But
the distutils stuff is evolving very fast and may be someday, we can get
something as CPAN running. I just checked it out and I am impressed what I can
do with this cpan shell. That is something I really like about the other "P"
language. (The syntax still sucks in my eyes. ;-)))

So, what things are open and need to be solved:

1. Is the whole effort really needed and worth the work you have to do?

2. Is the mailing list really needed?

3. Does anybody like to the python4linux.org domain for this project?

4. Is anybody willing to do the job?

Anybody interested can email me, cause I unsubscribed from the list. No, I am
not turning my back on Python completely, but I am on the move. A new job, a
new email adress, a location for my server machine. All this needs to be
organized. I am willing to discuss this and hand over all passwords, current
files, the ownership of the domain and so on. But the person who wants to take
it, should be aware that it is work. Not much, but it is work!

The things I will already do, is to take down the part of my homepage devoted
to this project. The files on this side are outdated and cause a lot of
trouble if I get the emails right. I also mailed to the webmaster of
www.python.org so that he removes the link.

best regards,

    oliver

P.S.: Why does everybody use the other "P" language? This is a rhetoric
question and not meant to start a flame war. ;-)))))