Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Sun May 21 12:44:20 EDT 2000

<< The reason I would like sensitivity to be kept in the language definition,
rather than pushed into optional editors, is in the view of later code
exchange between people, and such exchanges are fundamental nowadays. >>

Sorry, I must have been unclear. What I meant was that there would be an
IDLE-like editor, _obviously_ intended for newbies, and it would be the
_only_ way to get case insensitivity. The core language would remain
case-sensitive as it is today. As newbies decided they wanted to become
PyGrownUps, they would need to stop using the newbie editor and start
using normal Python, and they'd have to accept the community convention
that case matters. In very rare instances, somebody working in the newbie
world would write something worth porting to the case-sensitive PyGrownUp
world, and for such cases there might be a CaseNanny.py translator.

>From the non-newbie point of view, nothing changes with regard to case
sensitivity, but newbies get the case-insensitivity that they seem to
crave.