Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

jpb jpb at mycroft.communiweb.net
Sun May 21 13:10:39 EDT 2000

In article <cppuqg4hsu.fsf_-_ at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>, Guido van
Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

>You're saying it's unacceptable -- a vote.  But you don't say *why*
>you vote that way, so your vote gets multiplied by zero (rather than
>by the size of your department or the capital of your bank, as you
>seem to hope by bringing them into the argument :-).
>
>Here's a way to make your vote count: explain what it is about case
>sensitive languages that you hate.  Then we can have a discussion
>about it.

Ok, here's why I'm in favor of keeping the language case sensitive - if
I need a scratch variable of class Fubar I tend to name it fubar so I
can keep track of what class it's meant to be.

I tend not to bother to come up with a more descriptive name unless the
variable is hanging around.

--
Joseph Block <jpb at communiweb.net>
"Any government that is powerful enough to give you everything you want,