Stand-alone Python Apps?

Benjamin Schollnick junkster at nospam.rochester.rr.com
Mon May 15 20:17:33 EDT 2000

On Sun, 15 May 3900 13:03:37, Glyph Lefkowitz
<glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

The Macintosh version of Python (MacPython), includes a
"Make Applet", and "Make Program?" utility which will
bundle everything you need into one program.

It'll be large, but it's everything.  You don't even need
python installed once you have that.

On the PC Side is "Installer", I don't recall the name of the
author off the top of my head, but it does the "rough"
equivalent for the PC Side.

I use installer a bit at work, since my boss doesn't want
my python software requiring python to be on the machine.

For Linux/*Nix, no idea.

		- Benjamin

> "Nathan Gundlach" <dagchess at frognet.net> writes:
>
> > Thanks a bunch! I'll look into this. If it's as good as it sounds, it's
> > great. Maybe I should clarify exactly what I mean by "stand-alone." All I
> > want to create is a simple program with a GUI that does not require that
> > Python be installed on my end user's computer.
>
> The problem with this, as it seems to me, is that Python *must* be
> installed on the end-user's computer.  The best you can do is hide the
> fact that it is from them.  If you use a tool which "bundles up" your
> whole application into one big .EXE, or whatever, you are going to
> need to put the interpreter into that EXE.  Whereas, if you get them
> to install the interpreter once, they can download newer versions of
> your app in 500k instead of 5M.
>
> not-sure-how-you-explain-that-to-the-end-user-though-ly y'rs,
>
> --
>                   __________________________________________
>                  |    ______      __   __  _____  _     _   |
>                  |   |  ____ |      \_/   |_____] |_____|   |
>                  |   |_____| |_____  |    |       |     |   |
>                  |   @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m   |
>                  |   http://www.twistedmatrix.com/~glyph/   |
>                  `__________________________________________'

          (Remove "NoSpam" to Email me)
Please feel free to copy any and or all of this sig.
A little something for spam bots:

root at localhost postmaster at localhost admin at localhost
abuse at localhost postmaster at 127.0.0.1

Chairman William Kennard: bkennard at fcc.gov
Commissioner Susan Ness: sness at fcc.gov
Commissioner Harold Furchtgott-Roth: hfurchtg at fcc.gov
Commissioner Michael Powell: mpowell at fcc.gov