Stand-alone Python Apps?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon May 15 14:03:37 EDT 2000

"Nathan Gundlach" <dagchess at frognet.net> writes:

> Thanks a bunch! I'll look into this. If it's as good as it sounds, it's
> great. Maybe I should clarify exactly what I mean by "stand-alone." All I
> want to create is a simple program with a GUI that does not require that
> Python be installed on my end user's computer.

The problem with this, as it seems to me, is that Python *must* be
installed on the end-user's computer.  The best you can do is hide the
fact that it is from them.  If you use a tool which "bundles up" your
whole application into one big .EXE, or whatever, you are going to
need to put the interpreter into that EXE.  Whereas, if you get them
to install the interpreter once, they can download newer versions of
your app in 500k instead of 5M.

not-sure-how-you-explain-that-to-the-end-user-though-ly y'rs,

                 |   @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m   |
                 |   http://www.twistedmatrix.com/~glyph/   |